Sunday, July 18, 2010

Church Ensemble: Business Fashion "No No's"

I'm no fashion guru to say the least, but I've been told once or twice that I know how to assemble a proper business outfit.

With that being said, I feel compelled to share a piece of fashion advice when it comes to dressing appropriately for business occassions.

I couldn't help but take notice that a lot of my peers will wear their church ensemble to business meetings, interviews, career fairs, ect...
Add Image
In my personal opinion, Steve Harvey suits fits in the "church ensemble" category. Although they would probably be acceptable at an event like the BET Awards.

So if you come to an interview wearing the following or something similar, may I politely suggest either revisting your closet or invest in a nice conservative business outfit.

I call these Business Fashion "No No's":

To the left is a Steve Harvey suit that I found online. Please keep in mind this is just my own personal opinion. Although, I've discovered quite a few people have shared my same opinion (I'm just saying). I would not wear this to any type of business setting for the following reasons:

- The pinstripes are too bold. If this was worn in a meeting, this suit will attract a lot of attention. Believe me, this is not the kind of attention you want. If you are into fashion and you want to dress to impress, this is not the way to go. Pinstripes are acceptable, but they should be subtle, not exuberant.

- Jacket is Too big. When I'm wearing a suit, I like for them to "fit". From the looks of this suit, the jacket extends too far below the waist, nearly reaching the lower thigh. You want a jacket that reaches just at your pelvis. I prefer a jacket that also has a more slim tailored fit. This is still achievable for more broader men, have your suits tailored so that it fits as closely to your body and still feels comfortable. The arms appears as if they would extend just over the knuckes when stetched at the waist. The arms of the suit should reach at the wrist bone when in the waist-side position, just enough to see the cuff of the shirt.

- Pants are Too Baggy. Now even though you can't really see them from here, I've seen enough Steve Harvey suits in my day to know that they generally fit very loosely. Baggy pants simply show that you don't know how to select clothes that fit. I'm not saying that your pants need to hug your crotch, you do want to make sure that everything can breath below the waste.

- Four (4) Buttons?? The number of buttons on a standard business suit jacket are two(2) to three (3). If the latter, often times, men will leave the bottom third buttom unfastened.

Steve Harvey suits are simply not my preference, I'm pretty sure there are some appropriate business Steve Harvey suits out there, I just haven't seen them.

Disclaimer: I am not the Fashion Police, so please do not take offense to my "opinion". I have never been enrolled in any fashion program, educational institute, or organization. I have never received a "best dressed" award. I am not recognized as a fashion expert. If I happen to see you wearing a Steve Harvey suit in a business setting, I may have my own personal reservations and proceed to twitpic your church ensemble and may even blog about it.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no no in business suits but you'll avoid them through proper fashion research.

Post a Comment