Saturday, July 31, 2010

Reason, Season, & Lifetime

One of my mentors shared a valuable piece of wisdom with me. "People come into your life for a reason, season, or for a lifetime." However, I'm puzzeled on how to disguish on which people in my life fit into which category.

When it comes to business settings, I can be a social butterfly. I have the ability to create genuine positive relationships in the professional environment. Unfortunately, I wish I could say the same for my personal life. Although I choose to keep a small "circle", something inside me wants to be able to open up, and let people in, actually allowing myself to trust people. Supposing that safety is of greatest concern, I fear of becoming vulnerable. My expecations for people's character are relatively low; therefore, I hesitate to engage in personal relationship, assuming that eventually, I will one day be betrayed.

Through growth & maturity, I've become more able and confident to having deeper personal friendships. Inner strength has served as a leverage in my life, to not only invest in personal relationships but initiate them as well. Learning that building human relationships is a skill in the business environment, I've been able to apply those skills to manage the relationships in my personal life.

Friend or foe, I'm learning to appreciate every encounter with people, for there is something valuable to gain from everybody. So I often ask myself "Why do I want to risk safety and trust people?" Well, to be honest, I really want people to want to take that risk with me. Let's just say that I've experienced my fair share of reasons and seasons and not enough lifetimes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment