Sunday, July 4, 2010

What would I do w/out my phone?


My phone causes me so many problems. It's very sluggish, always freezing! or just does random things. Sometimes trying to text "hello" will be difficult. However, as much as I can't stand my phone, I have to say it has proven to be very useful.

I currently own the T-mobile "MyTouch" with the Google Android operating system.

As a huge supporter of the Android market, the literally thousands of applications at my disposal have become a huge part of my daily life, & it would take quite some time to adjust if I had to live w/out them.

These applications help me perform and manage tasks on a regular basis which save time, energy, stress, and money!

- Let's take Google Calendar for instance. I love to plan and write everything out. Google calendar allows me to program events and tasks and sends me email reminders at the appropriate time to prepare for what it is that is on my schedule. I use this app more when I have a very busy schedule.

- Google Maps and Navigation serve as my sense of direction because I don't have any (lol). I get lost in my hometown. Sad???? I know.

- Contacts GroupU, an app that allows me to add my phone contacts into various groups. For me, I use this when I need to send out a text msg or email to a large group and I don't feel like typing every individual name "To" pane. If you are a manager, captain, president, or any type of leader over a group of people, I highly recommend this app.

- Then there is SMS Backup. Every single text message, since I've downloaded this app is backed up in my Gmail account. You never know when you are going to need to hold someone accountable.

- Visual Voicemail, I thought this was so neat when I first downloaded. Normally, you would have to press&hold 1 to call your voicemail and just listen to each voicemail one after one after one. Well visual voicemail displays a list of voicemails [name (if saved in your contacts), number, date, time, and new/old] so you can simply select which one you want to listen to.

- Sherpa and Aloqa, both of these apps help you find places to go. They come in handy when you are new and unfamiliar with where to go. They both kind of do the same thing, but slightly differ.
Using GPS technology, Sherpa will find ever business with "so many miles" from within your location. By category, you can find out where the closest "italian restaurant" is, or to be more specific, the closest "Olive Garden". It just doesn't work for restaurants, it works for pretty much anything, malls, laundromats, grocery stores, gas stations, you name it.

Aloqa on the other hand, I will use if I'm trying to find something in particular. Say Walmart, generally no matter where I go, I want to know where's the closest Walmart. Aloqa allows you to customize your categories and vendors on the homescreen, so all if you have to do is select the icon. Then it will provide me with a list of all the Walmarts in perimeter, in order from shortest distance to furthest. From there, I will choose one and it will then provide me with general information and allow choose an action: "call", "show on map", and "Street view". [Sherpa performs the same action, but provides a little more information]

- SMS Wishes is another great app. It allows me to program text messages in advance to send at a scheduled time and date. Every morning my mom receives a text from my phone say "Goodmoring, hope you enjoy day...Luv Ya" or something like that, I'll change it up from time to time. Lol, what's funny was she eventually realized that my phone was automatically sending her the messages to so I'm not sure how much they actually mean to her now. This app comes in handy because a lot of times, I may need to send someone a reminder about something, but I might need a reminder to remind them..SMS wishes solves that problem. Definitely a necessity!

- Being able to check my T-mobile account is always convenient. It also allows me to pay my mobile bill.

- Since my phone is a Google phone, and Blogger is a Google product, I am able to download a Blogger app, so I can manage my blogs from my phone.

- The rest are standard functions of any given phone that help from day to day, Email, Alarm Clock, IM, Facebook, and Tweetcaster (Twitter). I previously blogged about the Mint.com app which is a good one as well.

There are many apps that I haven't even tried or discovered. If competitors can't keep up with the apps that Android produces, I'm pleased to say I'll always be loyal to Android phones.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I honestly didnt know that google apps were so useful. I am persuaded to get my own now

Planet_Ehrick said...

Google apps are great! I would like to experiment with iPhone apps to see if it will alter my bias

Post a Comment