Saturday, July 31, 2010

Learning - A Delayed Reaction

Sometimes we learn some of the most valuable lessons in the most unexpected way.

In my ealier college years, I remember taking a couple of GE courses in world literature instructed by professor Dr. Lisowski. His class included one simple daily routine assignment that has made his class unique compared to any other class I've completed. Students were not required to participate in this assignment and those who opted to do so, did not receive any credit towards their grade average. My professor called this assignment, "Active Critical Thinking".

At the beginning of each class, Dr. Lisowski would reserve a section of the dry erase board and label it "Active Critical Thinking". While Dr. Lisowski conducted roll call, students were free to post anything on the board that provoked (the title of this assignment) active critical thinking. This post could be a quote, phrase, picture, word or even a single character. This post did not have to relate to world literature. In fact, most of the time, none of the posts were related to the class whatsoever. Once Dr. Lisowski finished calling the roll, he would dedicate about five (5) minutes of class discussion for any posts on the board.

This activity was a great way, (especially for those 8am classes) to get students' minds stimulated. A lot of times students would post quotes that were significant to them personally. One student posted a quote in Latin that I had seen for the first time, "Dubit ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum", meaning "I doubt therefore think, I think therefore I am." Sometimes the posts were simply random, yet entertaining and humorous. I remember one Friday morning, a student posted "TGIF". Often times, the mornings after a televised sport event, one might post "How about them (sports team)".

Surprisingly, the meanings to most of the posts were not so obvious and discovering the message was an exciting challenge. It was very satifying to see my peers contribute in this activity as it also increased my interest in learning.

I really appreciate Dr. Lisowski including "Activity Critical Thinking" as apart of his routine lesson plan. He would only serve as a moderator during this activity; however, he would occasionally engage in class dialogue considering he was learning just as much as the rest of the class. But I believe he thoroughly enjoyed the interaction amongst his students as they particpated in healthy positive discussion.

Empowering students to discuss topics that we deem important and challenging our minds to determine the meanings of these posts has accomplished what I suspect few teachers have, promoting students teach students.

Thank you Dr. Lisowski and I apologize that it took me so long to understand and value the lesson you were trying to teach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment